Every student will be read to by four adults on the schoolwide reading day.
Students at Bissett Elementary School will be read to by four different teachers, community leaders and district administrators during a special reading day Tuesday, Dec. 19. The schoolwide reading day will feature readings by Springfield Mayor Ken McClure, Springfield City Clerk Anita Cotter, Zone 1 Councilwoman Phyllis Ferguson, Board of Education member Tim Rosenbury, Deputy Superintendent Carol Embree and more.
“We wanted kids to understand that the basic skills they’re learning now in reading and writing will follow them throughout their lives,” said Nancy Helm, Bissett learning coach. “We have community leaders, spouses of teachers, district leaders reading to our kids, but all of them will read a book and then also tell the students how they use reading and writing in their jobs.”
Students will have several visitors throughout their school day in their classrooms. Below, find a list speakers and when they will be reading to Bissett students.
- Bryan Beeler, Owner of The Pitch
- Anita Cotter, Springfield City Clerk
- Phyllis Ferguson, Zone 1 Councilwoman
- Dr. Michael Kolstad, Vice President of Academic Affairs at Evangel University
- Ken McClure, Springfield Mayor
- Tim Rosenbury, Board of Education member
- Mike Scott, KY3 Sports Anchor