Renovations continue within Zagonyi Park, named for a Civil War action that took place in the area in 1861.
In November, a historic monument commemorating the namesake Zagonyi’s Charge was relocated from a vacant lot on Mt. Vernon Street near Jordan Creek, into the park. Historians believe the charge into Confederate lines, led by Union Maj. Charles Zagonyi, passed through what’s now Zagonyi Park, following the old Mount Vernon Road. The stone monument relocation was coordinated by the University Club, Wommack Monument Co., and Springfield-Greene County Park Board staff. It is now displayed in an area of the park that’s being developed as a community garden, planned and maintained by the Westside Neighborhood Betterment Association.
Thanks to a Neighborhood Works grant obtained by the neighborhood, the Park Board has installed new universal-design accessible playground equipment in the park. The grant also funded a new water line to provide for two drinking fountains and community garden irrigation. Tennis courts have also been resurfaced at the park.
Work is underway to install three new picnic shelters, new sidewalks and a ramp, a third accessible drinking fountain, all funded by the grant.
Once renovations are complete at Zagonyi Park, a dedication ceremony will be planned.